The Polish Chamber of Physicians and Dentists is a professional, self-governing organisation of physicians and dental practitioners, which was funded in 1922, dissolved in 1952 and reactivated in 1989. Its aims, objectives and activities are determined by the Polish national law - the Act of 17th May 1989 on Chambers of Physicians.
As President of the Supreme Medical Council, I would like to present some of my personal ideas concerning the role, aims and functioning of Polish Chambers of Physicians and Dentists.
- One of the fundamental aims of Polish Chambers of Physicians and Dentists is enhancing the prestige of Polish physicians and dental practitioners in the society.
- Chambers have to take responsibility for proper, consistent with medical ethics, deontology, and medical knowledge of physicians, provision of professional services.
- The Supreme Medical Council has to become an expertise body expressing its own opinions on the subjects important for healthcare.
- Membership in the chambers should be treated as a privilege, a reason to be proud of, not as a mere obligation.
- The Polish Chamber must co-operate with foreign chambers of physicians and dentists. Common activities and learning from the experience of others may allow us to avoid at least some mistakes.
- The Polish Chamber should be responsible for specialist training and continuous education of physicians and dentists.
- Chambers should represent interests of the medical profession and the patients especially in relations with the Social Health Care Insurance Institutions.
These are just some objectives, Chambers of Physicians and Dentists in Poland are aiming at.
I hope we will manage to accomplish them successfully, with the help of all involved in the problems of healthcare in our country.
Please, allow me to present you with some data on the origin, ideas as well as structure and functioning of Polish Chambers of Physicians and Dentists both at national and regional levels.
With kind regards,
Dr Maciej Hamankiewicz
The Polish Chamber
of Physicians and Dentists